Oct 3, 2007

Butterscotch Scones


I had a work get together this morning and wanted to make a breakfast treat to bring to the office. I originally wanted to make blueberry scones, but i was too lazy to go to the supermarket to pick up blueberries, so i settled on using the butterscotch chips i had in my stash. I found a recipe at Epicurious, and after reading all the rave reviews, I was ready to bake! the scones only took about 20 minutes to mix together, and another 25 minutes to bake, so it was pretty easy to do. Everyone at work *loved* them!! yipee, success!! They have a slight crunch on the outside and perfectly moist on the inside. A great scone, not at all dry!! Here's the recipe...I adjusted it slightly...

Butterscotch scones
adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup of golden brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, diced
1 cup butterscotch chips (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup (or more) chilled whipping cream
1 large egg

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Sift all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Add chilled butter; using fingertips, rub in until coarse meal forms. Mix in chips.
  3. Whisk 1/2 cup cream and egg in small bowl to blend. Gradually add cream mixture to dry ingredients, tossing with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps. Add more cream by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
  4. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto large rimmed baking sheet, spacing apart. Bake scones until golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note:
  • The original recipe called for 1/3 cup of brown sugar, but I changed it to 1/4 cup because I didn't want it too sweet. I also didn't have golden brown sugar, so I substitute with 2 part dark brown sugar to 1 part granulated sugar. It was the perfect amount of sweetness.
  • I had to use a little more than 1/2 cup of whipping cream because the dough was too dry. I ended up using about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of whipping cream in total.
  • The recipe says it makes 14, I was only able to get 9 out of the batter.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting