Dec 17, 2008

Pillow cheesecake


I love cheesecake, as you can see from my many cheesecake bakes. My favorite cheesecake so far is the Mascarpone cheesecake, I love how rich it tastes but it also has a very light texture. But when I saw this recipe for a Pillow cheesecake at Tartelette, I knew I had to give it a try.

The technique for making this cheesecake is very different than any other cheesecake I have ever made. She separates the egg yolks and the egg whites. The egg whites are then beaten to stiff peaks, as in a chiffon cake, and they are folded into the cheesecake batter. It creates a cheesecake that has an incredible texture!! Can you see the texture?!!!

I only had two blocks of cream cheese, so I decided to half the recipe. So the verdict, will this now be my go to cheesecake?!! I'm not sure, I still really love the Mascarpone cheesecake but I wouldn't mind eating this cheesecake again. mmmm..yum.


Pillow cheesecake
from Tartelette

Chocolate shortbread base:
125g butter, very cold
40g sugar
150g flour
12g cacao powder


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Work the butter, sugar, flour and cacao with a food processor or your fingers to get a sandy mixture. Work the dough for a minute. Divide the dough in half. Reserve one half to make shortbread cookie or refrigerate for another time. Press one half into the bottom of a 7” inch spring form pan. Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool completely.


Cheesecake batter
1 lb cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick butter (57g), softened
1/8 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp cornstarch, sifted
Zest of 1/2 lemon


1. Combine the cream cheese, butter, sugar, lemon zest, sour cream and cornstarch in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip until combine. Do not incorporate too much air or the cake will crack.

2. Make sure the cream cheese and butter are very soft. Add the egg yolks one at a time and whip just until combined. Whip the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold them in the cream cheese batter.

3. Pour the batter over the chocolate shortbread crust. The batter will reach the rim of the cake pan. Wrap your spring form pan with heavy duty aluminum foil, set it in a large roasting pan, add enough hot water to come up halfway up the side of the pan. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Turn the oven off, crack the door of the oven open and let your cake cool in there for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and refrigerate completely for a few hours or better yet overnight.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting