Jun 2, 2009

Pumpernickel bread


I love the pumpernickel bread from Cheesecake Factory. I have been trying to find a recipe for this bread because it seems silly just to go to Cheesecake Factory to eat their bread. Finally..I found this from Recipe Circus. The recipe says to just put everything in a bread maker. I don't have a bread maker, so I followed the steps for a Simple Pumpernickel bread from The knead for bread (a wonderful wonderful bread blog, btw)

The results? Eh...the texture is there, but it's missing the sweetness that I like in Cheesecake Factory's. It almost has a bitter taste to it. When I first looked at the recipe, I was shocked that no sugar was added to the bread. But I figured I would try the recipe as is. Next time I will definitely add some sugar to it. Here's the recipe.


Cheesecake Factory's Pumpernickel bread
adapted from Recipe circus

1 1/2 cups warm milk
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons molasses
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup rye flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder


1. Combine the warm milk and the yeast. Allow to stand for five minutes.

2. Mix the bread flour, rye flour, cornmeal, salt, and cocoa powder together.

3. Add the vegetable oil and molasses to the milk.

4. Slowly add the liquid to the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until a rough dough is formed.

5. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Allow the dough to proof in a oiled bowl for one hour or until dough is doubled in volume.

6. Cut the dough in four equal pieces. Form the dough balls into a loaves.

7. Allow to proof for another 30 to 45 minutes.

8. Place a baking stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

8. Bake the loaves for 15 to 20 minutes or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, even though I didn't use your recipe. The recipe I found online is similar to yours except that it called for some brown sugar. However, the outcome was similar to yours. It's a bit bitter and no close to sweet. I'm gonna try again with a bit more sugar and less cocoa.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say *...nowhere close to sweet...*

kk said...

Hi anonymous-please let me know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

The brown bread at the Cheesecake Factory isn't actually pumpernickel. It's called "sweet wheat and oat demi baguette." They buy it frozen from a company called Maple Leaf.

kk said...

Thanks so much! I will have to see if I can find that.

 

Template by Best Web Hosting