Jan 11, 2010

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


The food affair kitchen has seen a lot of cookies, but I've actually never made peanut butter cookies before. Peanut butter cookies are not my favorite, but after reading the post from Sugar Cooking, I couldn't resist.

These cookies are from the Baked: New Frontier in Baking cookbook. I've heard so much about this cookbook, and after this cookie, I might be needing this in my already stuffed cookbook bookshelf.

These cookies are incredible straight out of the oven. I kept taste testing these cookies. heehee. Out of the oven, they're crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. The peanut butter and the milk chocolate chips are a great combination!! According to Sugar Cooking, the original recipe warns against using semisweet chocolate because the bitterness does not go well with the peanut butter. I was so tempted to use semisweet chocolate because I always have that on hand...but I decided against it. If they made the effort to put that in the book, it must be important. Anyway...the next day, these cookies are chewy all over, maybe it's because of the humidity here. It's still very good, but I love the crispiness. Here's the recipe.


Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
from Sugar Cooking

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 ounces good quality milk chocolate, coarsely chopped (see note)


1. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat teh butter and sugar together until fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. The mixture will look light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and peanut butter until just incorporated.

3. Add half of the flour mixture and mix for 15 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.

4. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate. Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (see note).

5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

6. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, at least 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with granulated sugar and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until the tops of the cookies just begin to brown. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.

Note:
  • *I let the dough sit overnight before baking them.

2 comments:

100% Made with Love said...

Hey you! Those look delicious!! I can smell the peanut butter from here! :p
I wish I had the doraemon sticky stick and steal away those cookies, hee hee!!!

dollee said...

I wish you tried this one out on me when I was at home! Ha ha ha

 

Template by Best Web Hosting