Sep 9, 2010

Seared Furikake Ahi


Mr. G just started his new job last week and to celebrate his first day, I made Furikake seared ahi (tuna) for dinner! Since moving out, I've been terrified of cooking fish...don't ask me why. We both love seafood, but for some reason, I've been too scared to venture in that arena. Thankfully, this is really simple, even I couldn't mess this up!!

I bought two beautiful pieces of fresh ahi from Costco!! Who would've thought Costco would have such fresh fish? I adapted a recipe from Cook's illustrated for pan seared sesame crusted tuna steaks, but really, it's so easy you don't even need a recipe.

The ahi was sooo yummy!! I served it with a simple wasabi soy sauce and it was perfect just as it is. I thought about making a wasabi aioli, but after the fish was cooked, I was too anxious and just wanted to tackle it. =) Here's the recipe.


Seared Furikake Ahi
adapted from Cooks Illustrated February 2003

3/4 cup furikake
4 tuna steaks, 8 oz each and about 1 inch thick
2 tbsp vegetable oil


1. Spread furikake in a shallow baking dish or pie plate. Pat tuna steaks dry with paper towel; use 1 tbsp of oil to rub both sides of steaks. Press both sides of each steak in furikake to coat.

2. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just beginning to smoke; swirl to coat pan. Add tuna steaks and cook 30 seconds without moving steaks. Reduce heat to medium high; continue to cook for about 1 1/2 minutes.

3. Using tongs, carefully flip tuna steaks; cook, without moving steaks for another 1 1/2 minutes for rare, or 3 minutes for medium rare. To serve, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.

Note:
  • *the original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sesame seeds, they also season the steaks with salt and pepper before adding the sesame seeds. Because the furikake is already seasoned, I omitted the salt and pepper.

3 comments:

dollee said...

Wow look at you in your very own kitchen!!!

Kimy said...

I made this tonight for my 3rd anniversary with my bf! I just so happened to buy my ahi filets from Costco ($20 for two THICK cut filets which I split into a total of 4 thinner (3/4") cuts) too! And then I did a search of seared furikake ahi and found your recipe. It turned out GREAT! My bf loved it! And it was way cheaper than any SUPER expensive dinner at a restaurant. We paired it with some gyoza and mixed organic greens with simple balsamic vinegrette. However, I did only sear it for 30 seconds on each side for it to be rare like how my bf likes it. I think if I had cooked it exactly like your recipe, it would've been too overdone and ruined the fish. But we like it rare so for anyone who likes it simply seared and rare (cold rare), sear on each side for 30 seconds. Once you flip it for the other side, you could probably turn the heat off already and let remaining heat finish searing the other side. Just keep a watchful eye so you can quickly removed it instead of leaving it in the pan and overcooking it. Thanks for the recipe! I've got it bookmarked in case I ever forget but it's so simple and fast that dinner is ready in like 30 minutes or less! Thanks again!!!

kk said...

Thanks for the feedback, Kimy! I think mine took so long because I left them as the thick filets instead of splitting them in half!! I think I will try it your way next time, Costco's cuts are huge!! =)

 

Template by Best Web Hosting