Nov 23, 2010

Crunchy banana muffin


I'm so happy to be baking again. I've been doing so much cooking that my baking has been neglected. As much I enjoy cooking and experimenting with different ingredients, I enjoy baking a lot more.

Mr. G's mom gave us about 30 apple bananas and although I love apple bananas, I could only eat so much. I decided to make some banana muffins for Mr. G's coworkers. I had problems deciding which recipe to use. I thought about making Cook's illustrated recent Ultimate Banana bread recipe, but it was too much work for the time that I had. I was also planning to use CI's recipe for best banana bread, but I didn't have any plain yogurt and I was too lazy to go to the store. Finally, I decided to go with Ina Garten's Crunchy Banana muffins. It got great reviews and I've never been disappointed by Ina yet..so here goes!!

The result is very yummy banana muffins. They were not as crunchy as I thought they would be, but I did like the bits of granola in it. If you love the banana muffins that are super moist, this is not that type of banana bread. I actually like this better than the oiliness of some of the other banana muffins. I also like how in Ina's recipe, she didn't mash all the bananas, so you get little bits of banana throughout the muffin. It's a nice touch I think!! I will definite try the CI one next time..I hear the banana tree is bearing more fruit. yikes!! Do you have any banana recipes to share?


Crunchy banana muffin
adapted from Ina Garten

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar (see note)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 extra-large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)
1 cup medium-diced ripe bananas (1 banana)
1 cup small-diced walnuts
1 cup granola
Dried banana chips, granola, or shredded coconut, optional


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Line 18 large muffin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and blend well. Don't overmix.

3. Fold the diced bananas, walnuts, and granola into the batter. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each 1 to the top. Top each muffin with dried banana chips, granola, or coconut, if desired. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan, and serve.

Note:
  • * The original recipe uses 2 cups of sugar, I cut it down to 1 1/2 cups and I thought it was sweet enough.
  • * The original recipe adds an additional 1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes. I didn't have any on hand so I omitted it. If you want to add the coconut, you can add it with the granola.


0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting