Jun 21, 2011

Raspberry and Mascaropne Mousse Cake


A late Happy Father's Day to all you wonderful dads! I have noticed recently that fathers and daughters have a very special bond. I don't care how macho the man might seem on the outside, when it comes to their daughters, they are complete marshmallows!! I see my friends and their daughters and I wonder how these little girls are able to get whatever they want from their daddies. I guess I have that bond with my dad as well. My dad would do anything for me and my sister. When we were toddlers, he used to say he would pawn everything down to his underwear to give us what we wanted. So for Father's day, I gave this very special cake to my very special dad. I would give everything I have for you too, Ba Ba.

This is my own creation inspired from many different cakes. I bought a beautiful box of raspberries, so I knew I wanted to use them. Earlier, I saw that Daily Delicious had a Banana Mascarpone Roll that looks amazing. So I took the mascarpone cream portion of that cake. In the end, I came up with a chiffon cake on the bottom, a layer of raspberries with the mascarpone cream, and a layer of raspberry mousse. Here's the recipe.

Raspberry and Mascarpone Mousse Cake

Chiffon Cake

4 eggs
80g caster sugar
60ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp milk
86g cake flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp cream of tartar


1. Sift cake flour and cornstarch together.

2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Using a stand mixer or electric beaters. Beat the egg yolks. While beating the egg yolks, add 40g of caster sugar. Add sugar in one tbsp increments. Beat the egg yolks until it's light and fluffy and the color is a very pale yellow.

3. Once the egg yolks reach that state, mix in the oil, milk and the vanilla. Sift in the cake flour and cornstarch mixture. Gently fold in the flour mixture until just incorporated.

4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Once the egg whites are foamy, add the remaining 40g of sugar in 1 tbsp increments. Beat the egg whites until they reach soft peaks.

5. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites until just incorporated. Repeat with the remaining egg whites. Pour the cake mixture into a 8" cake pan. Hit pan gently against the counter to remove large bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes.

6. When the cake is finished baking, cool cake upside down in the pan. Once the cake is completely cooled, take the cake out of the pan and cut into thirds.

Mascarpone Cream
from Daily Delicious

150g Mascarpone cheese
150ml Whipping cream
40g Sugar
2 tbsp Milk


1. Beat the mascarpone cheese until soften, then add the sugar and milk. Mix until combine.

2. Whip the whipping cream until soft peak. Fold into the cheese mixture.

Raspberry Mousse

300g Raspberry puree
10g gelatin powder
350ml of whipping cream
3 to 4 tbsp of sugar (depends on the sweetness of your fruits)


1. Dissolve gelatin in 60ml of cold water. Allow the gelatin to sit and bloom for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, melt the mixture in the microwave for about 20 to 25 seconds.

2. Whip the whipping cream until stiff.

3. Combine the raspberry puree with the sugar. Add sugar to taste. Add the gelatin mixture to the raspberry mixture. Fold in the whipped cream.

Assembly
1/3 of the chiffon cake
1 recipe for Mascarpone cream
1 recipe for Raspberry mousse
Raspberries for decorations


1. Cut the chiffon cake in thirds. I only used one third of the cake and saved the rest for something else. You can cut the recipe in half and use half the cake as the base as well.

2. Place the cake round in a springform pan. Cut raspberries in half and line the edge of the cake with raspberries. Pour in the mascarpone cream to cover the raspberries.

3. Top with raspberry mousse mixture and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the cake to sit overnight in the refrigerator to firm up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowee!! Now that's beautiful and Just by reading your recipe I know this took forever to make. Excellent job kk!

kk said...

Thanks! It actually wasn't too bad! The results were worth the work. =)

 

Template by Best Web Hosting