Jun 5, 2013

Garlic Cheese Bread

Photo courtesy of Mr. O (thank you!!)
I love these Garlic Cheese Bread!! I've made these so many times, but only when I have company. The reason being is these are so good that I can't be left alone with them. I will eat the whole loaf and not even think twice!! I only make these when society rules tell me I can only have one or two slices. The thing is, these are so easy to make!!! You can make all sorts of substitutions, add other ingredients and it will still be great!

This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman. She has a lot of mouth watering recipes, but I'm always afraid to make them because they seem to be so fatty. For example, in her original recipe, she used one whole stick of butter, 4 3/4 cups of different cheeses, and half a cup of mayonnaise. That's quite a bit of calories for just one loaf of bread!! In the adapted version below, I used a lot less cheese, and I thought it was cheesy enough! I think something that always helps is I always grate my own cheese. I think pre-grated cheese just doesn't taste as good. I also always use a strong tasting cheese, like sharp cheddar instead of medium or mild cheddar. You don't need as much cheese and you still have really good flavors.

Garlic Cheese Bread
adapted from Pioneer Woman

1 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup of grated Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 whole Green Onions, White And Light Green Parts Minced
1 dash Salt
1 loaf Crusty French Bread
1/2 stick Butter
4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced

1. Mix cheeses with the mayonnaise and the green onions. Add dash of salt to taste and set aside or keep in fridge until you need it.

2. Cut loaf of bread in half, then each half into half again.

3. Divide the butter into four portions. Working 1/4 loaf at a time, melt one portion of the butter in a skillet and add 1/4 of the minced garlic. Place one of the 1/4 loaves face down in the skillet, swirling it to soak up the butter and garlic. Allow bread to toast in the skillet, removing garlic if it starts to get too brown.

4. Repeat with remaining butter, garlic, and bread.

5. Spread cheese mixture on warm loaves and bake in a 425 degree oven until cheese is hot and bubbly, about 10 minutes.

Notes:

  • Original recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese, 3/4 cups of Monterey Jack cheese, 1/2 cup of real mayonnaise (I tried using light mayo and olive oil mayo, and it was fine!), and 1 stick of butter.  I use whatever cheeses I have on hand, usually cheddar and mozzarella.  I've also tried using all Mozzarella, it's not as flavorful, but still very good.  
  • Add ins:  I've tried adding little bits of bacon, thinly sliced onions and also chopped artichokes.  They were all very good.  I really don't think you can go wrong with these!  

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting