Jan 27, 2008

Coconut shortbread


I've had this bag of shredded coconut sitting in my pantry for a few weeks now. Now that I think about it, I don't remember what I originally bought it for. But since I have this get together to go to tonight, I thought I would make something simple to bring. I needed something quick and easy, because I'm too tired for anything strenuous. I went to one of my favorite blogs, Baking bites, and did a search for coconut cookies. There were a few that looked really really yummy, but I ended up picking the coconut shortbread cookies. These can't be any easier to make, and the results were great. I thought there would be a more pronounced coconut taste, but actually it was actually very buttery with a subtle coconut taste. Very delicious, and so easy!! This is definitely a keeper. Here's the recipe:


Coconut Shortbread

From Baking Bites

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut (unsweetened is fine, too)


1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, or with aluminum foil.

2. In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric mixer, blend flour, sugar and salt together. Mix in butter at low speed until dough is crumbly, but starting to come together.

3. Stir in coconut and continue to mix until dough resembles wet sand; there should be large and fine clumps of dough in the mixing bowl.

4. Pour shortbread dough into prepared pan and press it firmly down into a single, even layer. Score shortbread lightly to make it easier to slice later.

5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges are golden and top is very lightly browned. Middle of shortbread will be set, but not firm.

6. Cool shortbread for 5 minutes, then use a sharp knife to cut the shortbread into 18 bars. Cool shortbread entirely in pan.

7. When cooled, remove shortbread from baking pan and store in an airtight container. Makes 18 large shortbread fingers, or 24 smaller bars.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting