Jun 26, 2008

Coffee milk bun


I am currently obsessed with bread. I love baking bread, I love kneading bread, I love the smell of bread baking, and what I love most about bread is of course, eating it. I saw this post for coffee milk buns on Angie's My kitchen my laboratory, and I knew I had to try it.

The texture of these buns are really soft and the best part is they stayed soft for almost a week. The only complaint I have is the coffee flavor is not very strong. My testers knew they were flavored, but they couldn't tell what flavor it was. I think next time, I would leave the coffee out all together. Here's the recipe:

Coffee milk bun
from My kitchen my laboratory

240g bread flour
60g TopFlour/Cake flour
7g milk powder
60g sugar
3g salt
7g dry yeast – dissolve in 30g warm water
2 tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 10g water
80g cold milk
80g cold water
20g melted butter or canola oil
Extra melted butter for glazing


1. Dissolve yeast in 30g warm water and wait for 5 mins to become frothy. Stir well.

2. Mix the bread flour, cake flour, milk powder, sugar and salt. Dissolve the coffee in 10g of water. Mix the coffee with the cold milk and the cold water. Mix the flour with the liquid to form a dough. Then add butter/oil and knead into a smooth and elastic dough.

3. Round the dough, cover and ferment until double in size, about 45 mins to 1 hour.

4. Punch down the dough to release some air. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Place the pieces in a greased 9" round pan.

5. Cover with greased plastic wrap and prove for another 45 mins to 1 hour.

6. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 mins or until cooked. Brush the top immediately with melted butter. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Note:
  • The original recipe calls for 5g of bread improver, I don't know what that is and I have not seen it anywhere in Hawaii.
  • The original recipe says that the dough should not be sticky. My dough was actually quite sticky. I added another 1/4 cup of flour to the dough.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These buns look so delicious! Soft! Loved them. I really want to give them a try one day. Thanks for the recipe!

kk said...

Hi Farida,
Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know what you think of them if you decide to make them.
-kk

Nicole said...

Hi

Looks yummy! Will be trying tomoro, however, this is my first time on bread baking. A few questions:

1) In Step 2, do we need a bread machine to do the kneading? If yes, how long? If by hand, how long also?

2) If I want to bake into individual buns, how long should I bake it?

Thanks, Nicole

kk said...

Hi Nicole,
I'm sure you could use a bread machine to knead the dough if you want to. I kneaded my dough by hand for about 10 to 15 minutes...until you get a smooth elastic dough. If you want to bake them into individual buns, I would recommend that you bake them for 15 minutes, checking on them at 10 minutes. If they look like they've already reached the golden brown color, I would take them out. Hope they work out for you. Thanks for stopping by!
-kk

Nicole Lee said...

Thanks for your advise. However, mine didn't turn out well, not sure what went wrong. I made twice, the first one have to go to the bins as it is so hard! The second one is abit soft however, after it cooled down, the texture sorta of like kueh-like, dense, heavy and not fluffy at all :(

Do you have any idea what went wrong? I knead by hand..

kk said...

Hi Nicole,
Hm...I'm so bummed that your bread didn't turn out well. did you have to add a lot of flour when you kneaded the dough? because the dough was very sticky for me. did the buns rise before you baked them? hm...i'm really not sure what went wrong, because when I made these buns they were really soft. i'm sorry. I will try this recipe again and see what I can come up with. =( -kk

 

Template by Best Web Hosting