Jun 14, 2008

Roasted tomato salsa


I bought these beautiful tomatoes from the farmers' market and wanted to make something special with them. I was in the mood for salsa, but didn't want to make my usual salsa. I came upon two recipes online that sparked my interest, one was from Heidi at 101 cookbook, and the other was from A veggie venture. Although the one from veggie venture looked amazing, it was going to take at least 10 hours to roast the tomatoes...I didn't want to wait that long. So I decided to make Heidi's recipe. I made some adjustments from her recipe to suit the ingredients I had on hand. The salsa came out really nice. It's very different from the plain salsa that I normally make. Plain salsa is more refreshing, this salsa has more depth. You can really taste the roasted tomatoes and the onions. I bet this would go nicely with grilled chicken as well. Here's the recipe:

Roasted tomato salsa
adapted from 101 cookbook

2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1 medium white onion, cut into six wedges
2 large garlic clove, halved
a couple pinches of finely ground sea salt
2-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1 jalepeno
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped


1. Heat oven to 400F degrees. Now gently tossed the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and salt with the olive oil in a large bowl. After they are nicely coated arrange in a single layer, tomatoes cut-side facing up, across a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes start to collapse and the onions begin to caramelize a bit. Remove from the oven.

2. Puree jalapeno with the roasted garlic and two roasted tomato halves. Chop the remaining tomatoes by hand (once they've cooled a bit). Chop and add the onions as well. Season with salt and stir in the cilantro. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting