Dec 1, 2008

Strawberry shortcake


Today is my friend's 30th birthday and I wanted to make something special for her. She loves strawberries, so I decided to make a simple strawberry shortcake. After I was finished with the cake, I frosted it with a whipped cream frosting, but I thought it looked kinda plain. So I decided to add a little umph. I made a chocolate shell for the border and added a little chocolate decorations in the middle. The result is something that I'm very proud of and I hope my friend likes!

Below is the recipe for the sponge cake that I used. This is the sponge cake that I always use for a light cake. For the filling, I made whipped cream and added some diced strawberries. It's a very simple cake, but very light and delicious. Here's the recipe.

Strawberry shortcake

Cake:
4 eggs
80g caster sugar
60ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp milk
86g cake flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp cream of tartar

Whipped cream:
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla


1. Sift cake flour and cornstarch together.

2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Using a stand mixer or electric beaters. Beat the egg yolks. While beating the egg yolks, add 40g of caster sugar. Add sugar in one tbsp increments. Beat the egg yolks until it's light and fluffy and the color is a very pale yellow.

3. Once the egg yolks reach that state, mix in the oil, milk and the vanilla. Sift in the cake flour and cornstarch mixture. Gently fold in the flour mixture until just incorporated.

4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Once the egg whites are foamy, add the remaining 40g of sugar in 1 tbsp increments. Beat the egg whites until they reach soft peaks.

5. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites until just incorporated. Repeat with the remaining egg whites. Pour the cake mixture into a 8" cake pan. Hit pan gently against the counter to remove large bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes.

6. When the cake is finished baking, cool cake upside down in the pan. Once the cake is completely cooled, take the cake out of the pan and cut into thirds.

7. While the cake is cooling, whip the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until it reaches a soft peak stage. Fill the cake layers with the whipped cream and diced strawberries. Use the remaining whipped cream to frost the outside of the cake.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks quite amazing! Well done. Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka!

 

Template by Best Web Hosting