Dec 12, 2008

White batter bread


I have a long list of bookmarked recipes from food blogs all around the world. Anytime I want to make something, I look at my list...and I found this recipe awhile ago from Smitten Kitchen for White batter bread. I have never heard of such a bread and has never tasted it, but it seemed like an easy recipe, so I gave it a go.

The result? hm...I'm not sure what to say about it. I can't say I love it, but I don't dislike it. The texture if almost a cross between a bread and a cake. It's very crumbly and it's very yummy toasted with some butter. It's just not what I would call bread...but then again, it's not quite quick bread texture or cake texture either. The great thing is that it's very easy to make and it's very filling type of bread. Here's the recipe if you want to give it a go.


White batter bread
from Smitten kitchen
total time: 2.5 hours

2 cups warm milk, about 110 degrees
2 1/2 teaspoons (1 envelope; some argue it’s actually 2 1/4 tsp. If you have more time, use the lesser amount) active dry yeast
4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or vegetable oil


1. Whisk yeast into warm milk and set aside while preparing other ingredients. (About 5 minutes does the trick.)

2. Whisk yeast into salt, sugar and butter.

3. Beat in flour to make a smooth batter, you’ll want to do this for a few minutes.

4. Pour into buttered loaf pan and let rise, covered with a towel or plastic, until doubled.

5. When it’s almost doubled, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and set a rack at the middle level.

6. When it’s completely risen, place in oven and bake about 30 minutes, until it’s golden brown and firm, and the internal temperature is about 210 degrees.

7. Unmold the loaf and let it cool completely on a rack.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting