Jun 19, 2010

Chinese steamed fish


Hey everyone, it's been awhile. I've been having too much fun. My family and I just came back from an Alaskan cruise. I had so much fun in the open ocean that I jumped at the chance to go back when my friend's husband asked me if I wanted to go fishing!

This was the first time I went fishing on a boat and it was quite an adventure. I completely expected to come home empty handed and was just looking forward to a boat ride on a beautiful day.

What a pleasant surprise when I came home with four edible fish!!! yipee!! We always steam fresh fish in this household so I decided to share my dad's "recipe". I say "recipe" because he doesn't really have a recipe. I watched him prepare the fish from start to finish and here's what I got. When I try to make it myself, I can update this with more accurate measurements.



The bottom red fish (I forgot the name of the fish) is what it looked like before cooking.


Chinese steamed fish
from Mr. K

for the fish:
1 fresh fish
2 stalks of green onion (scallions)
2 stalks of cilantro (chinese parsley)
1" piece of ginger
2 tbsp oil

for the sauce:
1/4 tsp sugar
bit of water
2 or 3 tbsp of soy sauce


1. Clean fish (don't ask me how, I have no idea!) and dry fish with paper towel.

2. Cut scallions into 2" pieces and then slice lengthwise to get thinner slices. Cut cilantro into 1" pieces. Julienne the ginger until they're very thin pieces.

3. Place a pair of chopsticks under the fish on the plate (see note). Rest the fish on the chopsticks and steam for approximately 8 minutes, depending on the size of your fish.

4. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Combine the sugar, water and soy sauce together in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a small pan. Put ginger into the oil. Then put the scallions and cilantro. Cook for about 30 seconds.

5. After the fish is finished. Remove chopsticks from under the fish and drain the water from the plate. Pour soy sauce mixture on the fish and top with the scallions and cilantro oil. Enjoy!!

Note:
  • *My dad said the reason you put the chopsticks under the fish is so that the fish doesn't sit in the water which makes the texture mushy.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting