from Cookies and Brownies by Alice Medrich
8 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line and 8-inch square metal baking pan with foil.
2. Melt the butter and the chocolate together, on top of a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring often until smooth. Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until very smooth, about 1 minute. Add nuts, if using.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare a water bath. Fill a large roasting pan with water and ice about 1 inch deep.
5. When the brownies are done - and they will look a bit dry on top - take them immediately from the oven and place in the water bath. Add more ice to the water if necessary. Allow to cool completely in the bath before removing the pan and cutting the brownies.
- I didn't have any unsweetened chocolate, so I used semisweet chocolate and reduced the sugar to 1 cup.