Aug 29, 2007

Viennese Whirls


I wanted to make a small treat for my parents today. They don't like anything too sweet, and they don't like chocolate (shocking, i know!!!) When I'm making a dessert for them, I have to rely on food blogs from Asia because their desserts and snacks tend to be less sweet than American desserts. I came across a recipe for Viennese Whirls at Cafe of the East. Cafe of the East is one of my favorite blogs because the explanation on the blog is clear and concise. I have yet to make anything from that blog that I didn't like.

These cookies are so delicious. They're buttery but the texture is very light. They remind me of those butter cookies in the blue cans (I forgot what they're called), but not nearly as dense. They're very fragile, so too much handling and they will break really easily. They were pretty easy to make, the hardest part was piping them out into the swirls. I had a difficult time making them all the same (as you can see).

Viennese whirls
Café of the east

Ingredients

170g butter, softened
55g icing sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
120g plain flour, sifted
50g cornstarch, sifted

1. Preheat oven to 320 degrees.

2. Cream softened butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.


3. Fold in both flours.


4. Fill a piping bag fitted with a 2cm star nozzle with the mixture (use 1cm star nozzle to make mini sized biscuits). Pipe out round whirls (or rosettes or stars) onto a baking sheet.


5. Chill the whirls/rosettes/stars in the refrigerator, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes before baking.


6. Remove from the refrigerator and bake immediately for about 20 minutes, or until light golden brown in color (reduce baking time if you are making mini sized biscuits). If necessary, turn tray around halfway through baking to ensure even baking. After cooling, store in airtight containers.

Note:
  • Don't omit step 5, I did on my first batch because I was too impatient, and the pattern didn't come out as well because it all melted together.

0 comments:

 

Template by Best Web Hosting