Café of the east
170g butter, softened
55g icing sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
120g plain flour, sifted
50g cornstarch, sifted
2. Cream softened butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
3. Fold in both flours.
4. Fill a piping bag fitted with a 2cm star nozzle with the mixture (use 1cm star nozzle to make mini sized biscuits). Pipe out round whirls (or rosettes or stars) onto a baking sheet.
5. Chill the whirls/rosettes/stars in the refrigerator, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes before baking.
6. Remove from the refrigerator and bake immediately for about 20 minutes, or until light golden brown in color (reduce baking time if you are making mini sized biscuits). If necessary, turn tray around halfway through baking to ensure even baking. After cooling, store in airtight containers.
- Don't omit step 5, I did on my first batch because I was too impatient, and the pattern didn't come out as well because it all melted together.