Feb 12, 2008

Black and White Rice Krispies treats


These rice krispies should be called pimped up rice krispies treats!! I made these rice krispies treats for a office meeting we have tomorrow. But I keep eating the edges..rationalizing that I'm cleaning up the edges, so it will be nice for the meeting!! =P I think a quarter of the pan has been "cleaned up" now. I better stop.

I highly recommend these rice krispies treats, they are the best I've ever had. As you can see, there are two layers. When I first saw these rice krispies treats on Baking Bites, I thought the bottom layer was made with cocoa puffs. But if you look at the recipe, you'll see that it's melted chocolate added to the marshmallows. Ingenious!! It gives the chocolate part a rich chocolate flavor. In the plain layer, she adds a teaspoon of vanilla to it, giving it a subtle vanilla taste!! It's such a great blend!!

Black and White Rice Krispie Treats

Baking Bites

4 tbsp butter, divided
1 1/2-oz dark chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups mini marshmallows (or 40 reg marshmallows), divided
6 1/2 cups Rice Krispies/rice bubble cereal, divided
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips


1. Line 18 muffin tins (1 1/2 standard 12-cup trays) with paper liners.

2. In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt 2 tbsp butter, dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Stir frequently to fully incorporate cocoa and to prevent scorching. Add 2 cups mini marshmallows and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy and melted. Add in 3 1/4 cups rice krispies and stir to combine, making sure chocolate covers the whole batch. Stir in mini chocolate chips and divide mixture evenly among prepared muffin tins, filling each 1/2 way up.

3. In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt 2 tbsp butter and mini marshmallows in microwave for 2-3 minutes, until marshmallows are fluffy and butter is completely melted. Add in vanilla and remaining 3 1/4 cups rice krispies and stir to coat every rice krispie (feel free to scrape in a little bit of vanilla bean, if you like).

4. Divide evenly among chocolate-filling muffin tins, filling each the rest of the way up.

5. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or let set at room temperature before serving.

Note:
  • I didn't add in the additional 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips because I didn't have them. I thought the regular sized chocolate chips would be too big.
  • I put my rice krispies treats in a 9x13 pan and cut them into squares. I think I might use a 9x9 pan next time to give the treats some height!

3 comments:

Chibog in Chief said...

oh this is a great afternoon snacks for my nieces and their friends!! i will put this on my to try list!! thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

I haven't made rice krispies treats in so long..! Your post really makes me wonder why, they are delicious!

kk said...

Dhanggit and Jenn-please let me know what you think after you try this recipe. I was thinking I could probably add other flavorings to the marshmallows as well...hmm

 

Template by Best Web Hosting