Feb 11, 2008

Coconut tart


My friends and I had dim sum this weekend. When we were about to leave, my friend asked me what these tarts were. I told her that they are coconut tarts...all the while remembering that I have a recipe for coconut tarts and still have lots of shredded coconuts left from the shortbread cookies. I decided to make these when I got home. These are not quite the same as the ones from dim sum. Next time I make these, I would definitely chop up my coconut more. I think it's a lot finer in the restaurants. But overall, these were very tasty, and easy to make.


Coconut Tart
from Angie's recipes

Pastry:
180 g All-purpose flour
35 g Icing sugar
1 small Egg
10 g Custard powder
90 g Butter, chilled

Filling:
100 g Grated coconut
40 g Butter, melted
40-45 g Sugar
1 large Egg
2 tbsp Condensed milk
2 tbsp Water


1. Sift flour, icing sugar and custard powder together into a mixing bowl.
Rub in butter, using paddle of mixer or by hand, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in egg. Mix until the pastry begins to form large lumps. Press together gently with your fingers to form the pastry into a ball.

2. Chill pastry dough for about 30 minutes. In a bowl, mix all ingredients for the filling. Set aside.

3. Divide pastry into 10 portions (approx. 35 g each). Press pastry evenly into tart molds. Trim the edges to remove excessive dough. Prick base of each tart with a fork. Fill tarts with filling to about 90% full.

4. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until pastry is cooked thoroughly. Leave the tarts in molds for 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.

Note:
  • Use finely shredded coconut for a fine texture. I used shredded coconut and the texture was not quite right. Maybe grated coconut is different...

2 comments:

Chibog in Chief said...

we normally do coconut pie..but the idea of coco-tarlette is sounds really fantastic!! yummmy

kk said...

Dhanggit-Thank you. thanks for visiting!

 

Template by Best Web Hosting