Aug 3, 2009

Chocolate cheesecake bars


Mr. G. had a little tennis function this past weekend and needed a potluck item. I love potlucks because it gives me a chance to try a new recipe!! I'm always worried about who's going to eat all the baked goods when I'm baking just for fun.

I was thinking about making this Apple strudel cheesecake bar, but I have to admit I was too lazy to go to the store to buy granny smith apples. So I found a recipe for a chocolate cheesecake bar that looked pretty promising.

I didn't use the original graham cracker recipe because I was, again, too lazy to go and buy graham crackers. I used a shortbread crust recipe that I love for cheesecakes. After I finished baking the crust, I found out I didn't have enough bittersweet chocolate in my pantry!! Yikes!! I'm rarely without bittersweet chocolate..it feels very strange. I had some unsweetened chocolate still, so I did a little researching and substituted it with that.

I stole a small slice before giving it to Mr. G. and I thought it was very good. It's very rich and creamy and the crust complements the creaminess very well. I think it would've been better with all bittersweet chocolate. The unsweetened chocolate gives it a much stronger chocolate taste..but also an acidic after taste. Nonetheless, Mr. G. said everyone loved it and the pan came back empty (yipee!!) The following is the original recipe with all bittersweet chocolate.


Chocolate cheesecake bars
crust recipe from Tartelette
chocolate cheesecake recipe adapted from Culinary in the Desert

125g butter, very cold, cubed small
42g sugar
150g all purpose flour
12g cocoa powder


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Work the butter, sugar, flour and cacao with a food processor or your fingers to get a sandy mixture. Work the dough for a minute. Press mixture into the bottom of a 8” square pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.


For the filling

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
105g granulated sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, room temperature


1. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water (don't allow the bowl to touch the water) - stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove and set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add sour cream and mix well, scraping down the side of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix just until incorporated. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix until smooth.

3. Pour the filling evenly over the crust and smooth the top. Bake until filling puffs slightly around the edges, but is still a bit wobbly in the center, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to begin cooling.

4. After the cheesecake is completely cool, refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummmmmm!!! your food looks soooo delicious. i think when we become rich and famous we should open up a little bakery. :) -t

Christine said...

That looks amazing! I am also intrigued by the mysterious Mr. G. Sounds very covert :)

cathy said...

good things those aren't sitting in front of me right now, or they'd be gone!

 

Template by Best Web Hosting